Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:46:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.steehouder@student.utwente.nl>
To:        TJ Herring <therring@midsouth.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: root login messages

E-mail from freebsd-questions-admin@spitfire.velocet.net, sent 12-03-2001:

>How do I stop those irritating "Root Login" messages on the console?   I
>am running a single-user desktop and am not concerned about security.

I take it you mean those bold-face error messages on ttyv0 (root login,
write errors on floppies, etc.)

If you look at /etc/syslog.conf, one of the first lines says something
like:

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit		/dev/console

This means certain errors are output to /dev/console (usually /dev/ttyv0).
If you comment out this line -> no more messages. Most of them still end
up in the other log files, so no real harm done.

with kind regard, Rogier Steehouder

--
-O_\ Rogier Steehouder                                //
/ \  http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.j.steehouder/ //  \