Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 00:53:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Prosser <greg-nospam@straynet.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and strange geometries on Inspiron 8000.

Hi.

I have an Inspiron 8000 Notebook with a 10gig harddrive.  It's currently
running Windows in the first few gigs, and I intentionally left the last 2
free to devote to FreeBSD, but I'm having issues.

Both -current and -stable sysinstall report my drive geometry as
"457/255/63 = 7341705 sectors", which is a smaller size than the disk.
This means that my partition table as sysinstall sees it is truncated,
also.

Using partition magic (this seems to be the only way I can seem to get
Windows idea of the partition table), I see that it thinks the drive is
1222/255/63.  Printed on the label of the drive is "16383/16/63".  Now,
knowing that one of those has to be right, and not knowing how to make
FreeBSD not screw up my partition table, I'm confused.

If I manually set the geometry, it still doesn't expand the rest of the
partition table or see my free space (it being sysinstall).  What's the
best path to take to get FreeBSD on this drive?  What do I have to
twiddle?  (Oh, and I'll add that Dell's BIOS seems almost useless both for
information and any special settings).

Pointers would be appreciated, as I know very little about geometries and
such, and just want to get the darn thing installed :-)

-gnp