Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 15:39:16 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, hamellr@heorot.1nova.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: email question

Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com> types:
> > FWIW, The World was recently sued for damages because their spam
> > scanners dropped some non-spam mail. The court upheld their right to
> > do this.
> Yeah, well, personally I feel that the best solution is to define a
> clear policy, publish it good - i.e. circumvent the 'but how could I
> know?' - have legal eyes check it over and implement it.

It's hard to have a clear policy for rules that are changing on a
regular basis. Stating that you do filter in the TOS - which all users
have agreed to follow and so presumably read, right? - should do.

Actually, the claimant tried this in that case. The World asked if
anyone knew the security rules used by their phone company, and that
pretty much killed that argument.

	<mike