Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2002 05:27:38 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, dg@root.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> In message: <200201010636.g016aLC37133@apollo.backplane.com>
>             Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
> :     I think that has been fixed.  Try it.  It doesn't lag for me.  The
> :     turn-around echo of the keystroke should be pushed out instantly.
>
> Yes.  Keep in mind that you only need to enable this when you have
> unacked data.  Otherwise, NODELAY doesn't buy you anything.
>
> I routinely go over non-NODELAY links and haven't seen a huge problem
> except when modems were involved that liked to freak out.

My experience agrees with David's.

It makes sense to set TCP_NODELAY on the client, still, if the
payload is still small enough after encryption.

On the server side, it makes less sense.

The server side TCP_NODELAY is the problem in this case, since
it is the client, not the server, which is on the slow side of
a USB dongle, FWIW.

-- Terry