Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:19:15 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster-with-package-support release candidate available for testing / pkg_add: illegal option -- -

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> It is not working - pkg_add on 6.3 has no option for "Install the
> package without fetching and installing dependencies". I mean, there is
> no long nor short option for this, so this portmaster's functionality
> cannot be easily ported to 6.3. That's why I suggest to disable packages
> support on FreeBSD =< 6.3 as it cannot work this way. pkg_add will
> always install dependencies on this old version.

Well that sucks. You're right, I'll have to add a warning for this
issue. Thanks again for letting me know.

> I think you don't need to spend a lot of time to solve this for 6.3 as
> it's Estimated EoL is January 31, 2010 ;)

Yeah, if only all FreeBSD users upgraded before the version they are
using went EOL. :)

> OK, I can live with it. :) I was asking it because somebody can use NFS
> mounted /usr/ports from build machine and then all packages are located
> in /usr/local/packages/All and packages should be installed from this
> location only (not fetched from FreeBSD FTP).

I added support for --local-packagedir to accommodate just this kind
of configuration, but I still hold that it will be the exception
rather than the rule, and that portmaster should be optimized for the
majority of users.

> Is there a simple way to disable fetching packages from remote site and
> use local packages only? (something better than fake PACKAGEROOT?)

Well I have --always-fetch now, I suppose I should add --never-fetch.
That's QED.

> Anyway, thank you for packages support in portmaster! Now I am waiting
> for "more general scripting hooks such as BEFOREDEINSTALL and
> AFTERINSTALL" and then portmaster will have all features I need! :o)

So help me line up support to get that feature done. :)

Doug