Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:42:22 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Philip Murray" <me@philth.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH & X11 Forwarding

> From: "Philip Murray" <me@philth.net.nz>
> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:40:35 +1200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I'm having trouble getting X11 forwarding over SSH to work with FreeBSD. I'm
> using SecureCRT client and have X11 Forwarding enabled. It works fine in
> Linux, but in FreeBSD I get the following error:
>
> SecureCRT : Incoming X11 connection authentication protocol name () is
> different than SecureCRT's (MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1)
> X connection to sparlak.philth.net.nz:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> shutdown).
>
> Both times I'm using SSH1 protocol and 3Des encryption, and OpenSSH 2.5 on
> the *nix side of things.
>
> What does it mean, and how can I fix it?

X11 does user authentication based on cookies. The original cookie
encoding was called MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1. It is in vary common use, but
was cracked long ago and is not secure.

An alternative mechanism, XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1, was developed using DES
for encryption. It's a far safer system, but was long un-exportable
(from the US and Canada) because it require DES. So all X11 distros
include MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 out of the box, but still require the
manual inclusion of the DES code module to support
XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1.

I suspect you system uses the stronger XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1  system
exclusively and rejects attempts to use the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 cookies
while SecureCRT only supports the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1.

I'd contact Van Dyke about it, assuming you have a licensed copy of
SecureCRT.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)