Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 16:21:49 -0400
From:      "David Nixon" <david.nixon@mantech.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <chad@mantech.com>
Subject:   Re: Attachments request -OOOOOPS

Oh, a pissing contest.

Inserting hard carriage returns at every 80 characters (right hand margin) =
is neither a standard nor a requirement.  Please be kind enough to point =
me and the rest of this mailing list to a FAQ or an RFC that specifies =
that carriage returns MUST be used.  That way the Mailing List Police can =
directly quote the text to those of us "nonconformists".

wrapmargin=3D0   I am sure you have seen this in your .exrc file.  Be kind =
enough to explain to me why vi has set as a default NOT to insert carriage =
returns at the right margin.  We can then deduce form your tag quote that =
Microsoft has somehow taken over vi and force upon them a dreaded and =
feared Microsoft standard. =20

And while I have already mentioned Microsoft standard!?!?!?  Try Palm =
Pilot, GroupWise (Novell) e-mail server, GroupWise Web e-mail interface =
and GroupWise client (local and remote).  Isn't it amazing what you can =
get to run on a BSD box.  With Novell opening up their NDS it will only =
get better.  We could be seeing NDS for BSD real soon.  There is already =
E-directory (NDS lite) for Linux.

David A. Nixon
Network Security Engineer
ManTech International Corp.  www.ManTech.com=20

>>> "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com> 04/05 5:24 PM >>>
As I recall, David Nixon wrote, in paragraphs each one line long
(wrapped by me, free of charge):
| requests from individuals to please format my text (insert hard
| carriage returns) because the text was running off their screens and
| they had to scroll to the right quite a distance to read.
+---------------

Which you obviously still ignore.

+---------------
| 2.  Add me and all the other posting unformatted text (attachments in
| your case) to your kill file.
+---------------

A reasonable option.  Of course, you took the time to post for some
reason, and now you're suggesting folks should ignore your efforts.
Why not get ahead of the game and not bother posting, instead.

+---------------
| 3.  Learn how to properly use your software.

Even better advice.  Take it.  Turn on word wrapping in whatever
tool and/or editor you're using.

There are standards for such things.  Just because Microsoft chooses
to ignore them doesn't mean you should.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net  =20