Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 09:28:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, ache@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

> > Better yet, do not allow just "anything" else...
> >
> > I block the RFC1597 "private internets" and 127.0.0.0/8 and 0.0.0.0/8 on
> > both inbound and outbound filters, in addition to blocking inbound addresses
> > with my network numbers..  basically they don't survive my routers :-)
> >

> We do too..but for the sake of simplicity I didn't mention the RFC1597
> addresses. The 0.0.0.0/8 is new to me..what is its purpose?

It's a reserved, unassigned network.  I don't have an RFC handy to check,
but I believe that the reasoning might have been because of the "magic"
"address" 0.0.0.0 that it contains.

It seems simpler to lose it than to be in doubt, and I think I saw a
detailed argument at one point, anyways...  ;-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968