Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 00:24:08 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: loader

Chuck Robey wrote:

> I just finished a buildworld, and I'm not sure about the laoder binary.
> In my obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader directory, I have 3 files that
> might be loader:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  135168 Apr  5 19:01 loader
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  121672 Apr  5 19:01 loader.bin*
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  259171 Apr  5 19:01 loader.sym*
>
> None of them are the size of my existing (gcc) /boot/loader:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  126976 Apr  4 17:10 loader*
>
> I use CFLAGS of -O -pipe.  Can anyone tell me which of the above files
> gets installed as /boot/loader, and if (from the filesize) I have a good
> loader or not?  This is the last thing worrying me about giong to egcs,
> and I'm just playing it very cautiously.

The file "loader" gets installed.  (The .bin file is created from the
.sym file and fed into btxld(8), which outputs loader after binding in
the BTX bits.)

The 135168-byte loader works fine here, and I can't think of any
reason it should cause problems for you.  (It's to be expected that
a more recent compiler will emit different object code, so size
comparisons are apples and oranges.)

--
Robert Nordier