Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:31:48 -0500
From:      Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel Rebuild w/ Sound

Not really a question, but just a comment. I was unaware that the
method to building a kernel had changed as of 4.0 and greater. I
previously ran 3.5 and reloaded 4.0 Release a while later, however when
I went to recompile my kernel under the proscribed method in "The
Complete FreeBSD 3rd Edition (no errata)" and everything worked fine.
Or is this just something for versions after 4.0. In any case I would
like more info as to what exactly has been changed.

Also of interest, isn't there some difference in how devices are
handled in 4.0 and greater. Did it not used to be controller xxx as
opposed to device xxx or is it the other way around?

Thanks.