Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:12:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another SCB timeout lockup - this time with console logs!

:
:>    Ok, it happened again.  ahc0 and fxp0 both went poof and started
:>    looping on timeouts.  Here is the console log.  I included a bunch
:>    of the repetitions.  It repeats forever (I have another 15000 lines I
:>    didn't include).
:
:From what I can tell, the aic7xxx card is sitting in a loop waiting
:for its DMA of the next transaction to complete.  The fxp driver seems
:to have similar problems with burst transfers at the same time.  My guess
:would be that the chipset gets wedged somehow, but without chipset
:information from ServerWorks, this is going to be a tough nut to crack.
:Having a PCI bus analyzer might help as well, assuming there is a slot
:on either the bus fxp0 or ahc0 is sitting on.
:
:--
:Justin

    I don't know how typical that would be, but it seems unlikely that
    the motherboard chipsets would be shared with a PCI slot.

    Hmm, interesting.  I just compared the dmesg.run for our DELL 2400 and
    one of our DELL 2450's & 2550's.  On all of them the on-board adaptec
    controller is bridged off the pci bus that fxp0 is sitting on.
    This problem has only occured on the 2400, though, and the 2400 and 2450
    seems to be using the same ServerWorks chipsets.  Odd.  I am going to try
    working around it by disabling the on-board fxp0 and throwing another
    PCI ethernet card into the box.  Then the two busiest devices will be
    routing through different PCI busses.

    DELL2400:
	pcib0 on motherboard
	    fxp0