Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 10:55:18 -0700
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD vs. Win95, per Annelise Anderson

In a recent conversation with Annelise, she revealed that she had
written this in the recent past, but not posted it because she wasn't
certain the humor would be apparent.  My wife and I both laughed so
much, I asked Annelise if I could post it here in chat.  Having
obtained her permission, here it is for your reading enjoyment.  I
hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  (Being a sailor, I particularly
like the inclusion of GPS devices in the list below.)

01/27/1996
Julien Lamy to questions@freebsd.org:

> from what I've understood of your FreeBSB, it's just like Windows95
> isn't it?
>
>                  Julien.

In certain respects, yes.  Both FreeBSD and Windows95 belong to the
general category of toys suitable (primarily) for males ages 12 and over,
along with cars, boats, bikes, knives, guns, rockets, medieval armor,
cameras, GPS devices, harems, spacecraft, fast CPUs, power drills, radar
detectors, cell phones, and so forth.

FreeBSD and Win95 have even more in common than this would suggest.
Cars run on roads, bikes run on gasoline, harems run on money; both FreeBSD
and Win95 run on electronic hardware, indeed on virtually the same kind
of electronic hardware.  (Some people would say that FreeBSD and Win95
actually run the hardware; others that the hardware runs FreeBSD
and/or Win95.  This seems to be merely semantics.)

Furthermore both include the components essential for the new sport
of net surfing, with the addition of an ISP.  But here we run into
some differences.  Win95 comes with a built-in ISP, but you may not
like it.  It is easier with FreeBSD to select the ISP of your choice.
Nevertheless, both reach the net and its critical resource, the backbone.

The sport of net surfing requires little physical exertion, its only
real risk being a threat to the carpal tunnels.  But it does involve
crashes.  Unlike automobile or bike crashes, these do not involve breaking
glass or crunching metal, or even the collision of one piece of electronic
hardware with another.  They seem to occur mysteriously inside the hardware
and are not well understood.  What is known, however, is that crashes
are more frequent when Win95 is running than when FreeBSD is running
*on identical hardware.*

Both FreeBSD and Win95 run the three essential programs: WordPerfect, pgp
and Doom.  Win95 might be better, however, for paying bills and doing
tax returns.

Win95 also comes "out of the box" with more little pictures (technically
known as graphics).  This seems to make it more appealing to females.
Whether you consider this is an advantage or a disadvantage is a matter
of personal preference.

On the other hand FreeBSD costs less, is somewhat less likely to
destroy your DOS/Win3.1 setup if you happen to have one and care about
it, and has better technical support.

Finally, FreeBSD can more easily be deconstructed into its component
parts (in fact, it comes deconstructed) and put back together in ways
that will make it do interesting or entertaining things.  It therefore
has more "play" in it than Win95, although it is initially less "pretty."
For many people this difference is decisive.

Keep in mind, though, that FreeBSD vs. Win95 is not an either-or choice;
you can have both, and even other similar toys (e.g., OS/2), and all
will run on the same electronic hardware (although not at the same time).
As someone put it in a newsgroup, "He who dies with the most operating
systems wins."

				Annelise Anderson
				<ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>