Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:36:04 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Iain Dooley <mail@iaindooley.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Uprading to 5.X from 4.X

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:40:19AM +0000, Iain Dooley wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:23:05AM +0000, Iain Dooley wrote:
> >
> >>hi all, i keep seeing comments such as "upgrading across major versions=
=20
> >>is not recommended for mere mortals". so what the hell are 'mere mortal=
s'=20
> >>such as myself supposed to do when we want to upgrade across major=20
> >>versions?
> >

> >Use sysinstall to do a binary upgrade, or carefully follow the
> >directions in the handbook.
>=20
> binary upgrade!!! brilliant, i didn't even know it existed. is there a=20
> section in the handbook on it? i couldn't find one.=20

I don't know.  It might be with the release documentation.

> will there be issues running programs currently installed on my system=20
> after a binary upgrade?

In general no (if you install the 4.x compatibility package), but if
you're going to keep using new ports/packages then it's recommended
that you reinstall everything (e.g. with portupgrade) to avoid the
incompatibilities that can arise if you mix and match 4.x and 5.x
packages.

Kris

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--