Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:25:46 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie, dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: rdist and pam

> CVSup can also be used for general-purpose mirroring of arbitrary
> files from one place to another.  It preserves hard links, symlinks,
> device nodes, etc.

Indeed - we did look at it as an option. Cvsup is dead nice, but I
don't think it did what we wanted.

	1) We already had ssh for authentication and it wasn't
		clear if there was a way to get cvsup to use ssh
		for authentication.  (It's pretty obvious how to
		get it to work for transport).

	2) Cvsupd comes with warnings about not running it as root,
		which we'd need to. (We use rdist for cloning /usr
		and /usr/local complete with non-world-readable
		files).

	3) I wasn't sure if you can adjust what gets pushed out to
		clients from a central config file. We have per
		machine exceptions.

	4) It doesn't read distfiles ;-)

While I'm thinking of it, I also noticed a problem with cvsup's
GUI. I use tvtwm as a window manager and use ctrl+arrow keys to
move around my desktop. However this doesn't work if the mouse is
pointing into the cvsup window. I presume this is a modula 3 problem,
but I thought you might know what was going on.

	David.