Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:08:59 +1000
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum newbie configuration questions

Hi folx

I'm looking at using Vinum on a new server I am currently building.
As I have never used Vinum before, I thought running my setup by this
list would be a prudent idea, to make sure I'm not doing anything
stupid.

So, I have 2 20Gb ATA disks in the new server. I want to do simple
mirroring of all filesystems, /, /var, and /usr. I want to do
mirroring pimarily for redundancy.

Greg tells me that currently I can't mirror the root filesystem, so
I'm looking at doing that manually.

Swap question: how does vinum support swap? Is swap just another
vinum volume? And should swap be mirrored? Or should I have two
unmirrored swap areas, one on each disk?

Also, does anyone have any tips on manually creating a backup root
filesystem that could be manually booted from in case of hardware
failure on the main root filesystem? I assume there would be issues
with the devices and where things are mounted etc...

cheers

jesse

       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au
             Email: jesse (at) va.com.au        - http://virtual.artists