Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 15:54:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      Werner Griessl <werner@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: latest kernel breaks linux netscape.

On 06-Nov-98 Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>> > someone recommended i recompile my lkms/klds, i'm still aout kernel at
>> > the moment.
>> >
>> > what are we using currently for aout kernels? do ELF kernels produce
>> > a crash dump you can analyze yet?
>>
>> I can try to make an ELF kernel.
>
> no no no :) this was being asked to the -current developers :)
>
> but if you want to...

No problem, the ELF-kernel is up and running.
I installed also the new boot-blocks and removed /kernel.config.
Had also to install linux.ko and vinum.ko manually via rc.local.
Works like a charm now.

But the netscape problem still exists:
system freeze, no access to keyboard, no panic, no kernel-debugger,
but responds to ping from the net.

But now I know, that's a nfs related problem !!!
Only with nfs-homed-users the freeze occurs on netscape exit.
Any idea ?

>> > why wasn't this done automagically from
>> > "make buildworld ; make installworld"
>> > ?
>>
>>  does it automagically !
>
> this hasn't been my experiance as of lately...
>
> -Alfred

Werner