Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2009 03:29:23 -0600
From:      Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
To:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Managing encrypted disks

[snip]
> What I'd like to know, is if it's possible to somehow check to see if
> there are any GELI 'attach'ed disks on a given system that have not yet
> been mounted (or, iow, were umount'd, but were left attached).
>
> #dmesg doesn't say much in this regard, and I couldn't find out by
> listing /dev either.
>
> Any tricks to find out what GELI knows? I want to automate everything
> except the insertion of the keys, which will always be manual. Knowing
> how to identify what is attached but not mounted would be a good start.
[/snip]

Steve,

If there are no /dev/*.eli devices listed, then there are no geli
providers attached. You can also check the output of the 'geli list'
and 'geli status' commands. If they return nothing, no providers are
attached, otherwise they'll list the providers and algorithms/key
sizes used and so forth.

-Modulok-