Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 01:21:14 -0500
From:      "Nevin E. Leiby" <nel9996@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Juniper IOS install woes on FreeBSD machine

> Umm... doesn't JunOS only run on Juniper hardware (ie. routers)?!
> Though based on the FreeBSD kernel, I'd be surprised if you could
> just run JunOS on a FreeBSD workstation...
> Why would you install JunOS on a workstation?  JunOS is developed
> especially for Juniper routers, and I would imagine has drivers writen
> expressly for the hardware that make up a Juniper.

Understandibly, but we only have access to crisco's 2500s, two or three
5500s, and thats about it...nothin more than that...=\ We do, however, have
an entire lab full of spare pcs with an abundance of nics, all of which are
compatible with the FreeBSD os...

Although similar projects have been duplicated with the Zebra and Linux
Router Project, it seems feasible. Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot
quote any of the previous posts that I have read, a few posts seemed to hint
at the ability to run the juniper code on a freebsd machine without
requiring the juniper hardware.

Although functionality would be limited to pc hardware (eg, only ethernet
and perhaps t1 cards, etc), ppl seemed to hint at the fact that it was
indeed possible. The exact process was never mentioned, nor did any FAQs or
other articles on the net prove helpful tho...A previous coworker of mine
attended a Juniper training conference in VA with an instructor that
mentioned it...

So, wouldn't it be possible to have the freebsd workstation execute the
juniper ios code to have the low-level equivilant of a juniper router?? I
certainly don't understand all of the specifics, but Im not sure how to go
further from here...It seems as though the only [plausible] option would be
to build the entire junos filesystem as done on a juniper router, then load
the ios image, etc

Thoughts?

> Have you tries strace on the files?  What are the install scripts trying
to do?

I haven't tried strace on the binary code files if I remember correctly
(first attempt was about 4 weeks ago). I did, however, execute a 'file'
command to determine the appropriate file types of binaries. Finally, I did
attempt to execute the binaries, but I do not have copies of the explicit
error messages at the moment other than what I mentioned previously:
    ...I have scanned attempted to execute the extracted sh scripts (eg,
+INSTALL), all of the binaries in the boot/ directory are failing with the
"Abort trap" error message.....

I do not understand the script completely yet - on a juniper router the
scripts are executed automatically. I might have to trace the script line by
line to determine what failures are occuring now and why..