Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 01:35:50 +1100 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: binhex format?

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> I've just been sent some documents in a format called binhex, which
> I've never heard of up till now.  We don't seem to have it in the
> Ports Collection, and all the searches I've seen have only given DOS
> programs.  Does anybody know how I can decipher this stuff?

Its a format used on macs. The bin bit is MacBinary and is used to put the
data and resource fork of files into a format that can be stored on file
systems that dont support two forks (such as ufs,FAT etc). hqx is a format
to translate the file to ASCII text so they can be sent via email etc.

Tools to deal with these files ar ein the ports collection somewhere I
beleive but also come with netatalk or go to your local umich mirror
(ftp://ftp.tas.gov.au/mac/umich/utils/unix/ if you cant find your local
one) and look in utils/unix for macutils (or one of the other myriad of
progrmas).

If all else fails I can stick some tools up for FTP.

Andrew