Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:28:04 -0500
From:      Vladimir Dozen <vladimir-dozen@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        kientzle@acm.org
Subject:   Re: Request for Comments: libarchive, bsdtar

ehlo.

 > so I want to make sure it's well-tested

   BTW, how do you perform testing of the library/tar?

   This kind of code should (shall) contain almost
   100% automated test coverage, in my opinion. It's due to
   it's complexity and extremely wide usage.

 >> - I would prefer it if compression was done by opening a pipe to
 >> gzip/bzip2 instead of using libz/libbz2.

 > Not really simpler for the library, and definitely not simpler
 > for clients of the library.

   Yeah. Spawning a process from inside the library is a bad idea, IMO.

   The right way to avoid code duplication between gzip and libarchive
   is to use common libgzip. The same applies to bzip and compress.

dozen
http://dozen.ru