Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:54:45 -0700
From:      Manalive <manalive@gmx.net>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JAVA and MOZILLA

>>Hi,
>>	I to am using Mozilla 1.4 ( I beleive I failed to mention that in my original
>>post ) and I compiled it out of ports. I had heard that Java 1.3.1 worked
>>well with Mozilla, so I wne to try to install it. However when I try I get
>>the following.
>>
>>dl# cd /usr/ports/java/jdk13
>>dl# ls
>>Makefile        files           pkg-message     scripts
>>distinfo        pkg-descr       pkg-plist       work
>>dl# make package
>>===>  Building for jdk-1.3.1p8_2
>># Start of jdk build
>>i386 Build started:   1.3.1-p8-n4458575-030909-18:44
>>ERROR: Your BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
>>       to a valid Java 2 SDK for bootstrapping this build.
>>       A Java 2 SDK 1.3.1 build must be bootstrapped against any
>>       1.3 build. Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR setting, or
>>       just unset it, and start your build again.
>>

>You need some working linux-java (I think you can use blackdown
>and sun but I can't remember which version) to build the FreeBSD
>java-port . You could search your Makefile for this.
>
>Uli.

I tried separately linux-sun-jdk13 and linux-blackdown-jdk13, neither
helped me to get past that danged ALT_BOOTDIR error message. Any way I
can set the ALT_BOOTDIR or find out how to remove it?!

Funny thing is that I was able to install jdk13 natively with no
problems a month ago, then on another computer, this error keeps popping
up. Same hardwares, same configuration. I remember in the past few
years, sometimes it installed with no problems, sometimes the error
keeps popping up. I have no idea what I did or what changed. Grrrr!

Jonas