Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:44:07 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Sam Leffler" <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        "Scott Long" <scottl@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Brad Knowles" <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 5-STABLE Roadmap

At 8:28 PM -0800 2003/02/13, Sam Leffler wrote:

>  This can quickly turn into a bikeshed, but suggest ones.  We're looking for
>  good benchmarks.  lmbench, rawio, and bonniee are rather "micro" in nature
>  (not bad, just limited in their usefulness).

	Well, I would submit that webstone and ApacheBench are rather
"micro" in their nature as well -- they cover only one protocol,
and/or one program.

	LMbench is, to the best of my knowledge, the very best low-level
benchmark around for looking at things like system call overhead,
process creation, signal handling, memory read latency, L1/2/3 sizing
vs. speed trade-offs, TCP, UDP, and RPC latency & bandwidth, etc....

	Since a lot of these things are likely to be changing with all
the kernel changes in FreeBSD-5.x, this would seem to be a good
candidate for the toolbox.

	The ATA & CAM drivers are getting updated too, not to mention
additional work on softupdates and other filesystem-related features,
so it would seem to me that you're really want a lot of disk
benchmarks.

	RawIO is the only benchmark anywhere that I know of that looks at
the underlying hardware performance for disk drives (by-passing all
the OS caching, etc...).

	Bonnie++ is one of the better medium-level disk benchmarking
tools, so that you can compare the raw numbers returned by RawIO
against the "cooked" numbers returned by Bonnie++.

	If you want higher-level benchmarks, you could look at IOStone,
IOZone, and/or IOBench.  Postal is an interesting filesystem/disk
benchmark, because it tests a very specific type of application load
which is typically found in mail & news servers.

	If protocol-specific benchmarks might be of interest, then you
could look at postal & rabid (SMTP & POP3), smtp-sink & smtp-source
(SMTP transmit & receive), mstone (SMTP, POP3, IMAP, HTTP, etc...),
or perhaps others.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>