Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 1995 13:17:05 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus.iadfw.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net.errors getting ALPHA

In message <199506081713.MAA01055@argus.iadfw.net>, Jim Bryant writes:
>It was a really bad idea to remove the checksums from all of the dists...
>We need them back in, as well as for the install process to verify ALL
>checksums before committing to anything.

The checksumming routines were only used for floppy installs at the
time they were found to be doing bogus things and removed. FTP install
is impossible as you can't rewind up a 240Kb (or multi-Mb for X11
stuff) stream, which is all that the install program has to go with -
the downloaded file doesn't exist on your local disk ANYTIME during
the installation unless you are using tape!

>So far, I have had to get XF86-co.tgz on the order of 5 times.  Four
>times due to net.errors, and once due to a zmodem error.  I personally
>find zmodem a hell of a lot faster than FTP, and would really like to see
>some minimal term prog with zmodem capabilities built-into the install
>disk;  I really think that this kind of install option would really open
>up a wider distribution scope [BBS's, downloading from shell accts,
>etc..].  The increase in bandwidth [zmodem -vs- ftp] would alone make it
>worthwhile, after all, this is a jump from 80megs to 150megs between the
>last snap and the alpha [no i'm not complaining, having X sources is a
>good idea].

Having zmodem would be a lot of work - either we'd have to find bit of
source code which would allow us to use it in a commercial
environment, and in a modified state, or we'd have to write it. And
for the former, there is always the worry that we overflow the damned
boot disk :-(

Gary