Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:25:31 -0400
From:      Bob Ababurko <ababurko@adelphia.net>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gateway for separate networks

At 01:18 AM 9/12/2004 -0400, Charles Swiger wrote:
>On Sep 11, 2004, at 9:41 PM, Bob Ababurko wrote:
>>I have two networks that are routed to me via a serial connection, namely
>>a T1.  I have just installed a new router and it has two ethernet ports
>>that will route to the two different networks.  What I want to do is have
>>a single machine have two routes to the Internet, but each NIC going
>>through its respective network...one is a /24 and the other a /28.  So, i
>>would think that this would require that "fancier setup", due to the fact
>>that I want traffic going out each nic to go through its networks
>>gateway.  Now, what is this fancier setup?
>
>Talk to your ISPs about setting up BGP peering.  This probably involves
>getting an ASN from www.arin.net and a portable IP netblock.
>
>[ If you don't understand what I just said, ask your ISP. ]
>
>--
>-Chuck
   OK, I think that I need to make a few more points to make this
clearer......sorry about that.  The two networks that I have are from the
same ISP.  They get routed to me via the T1 and land on my serial
port.  What I have then are two ethernet ports on my router(for a total of
three, counting the serial for the T1 link), which are the gateways for the
networks that I want to bring up.  Right now I have both of the networks up
with machines attached which are passing traffic just fine.  What I want to
do is use one machine to send and receive packets or traffic with two NICs
connected to their respective networks instead of using two separate
machines to do the duty.  It is a matter of telling the machine what to do
with the traffic depending what network the traffic originated from.  So,
if I want traffic to flow using the second NIC, I need to be able to tell
the traffic to go out the second NIC to the gateway for that
network.  Maybe, this is something that is just not possible, but I don't
really see why it would be such a big deal, if traffic from a second NIC
can traverse a plain old subnet.  I just need to add a gateway to that
subnet!
   Ok, what I ultimately want to be able to do is send and receive email
from both networks, as each of these network has a specific duty.  I am
interested in this to cut down on hardware costs, and have not investigated
this at the application level to even be able to say it is possible.  What
I can do, is run another instance of the MTA if it comes down to it.

-Bob