Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:45:52 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xchat depends

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 at 09:31:05 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 28 Apr 00, at 14:22, Matthew Hunt wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 08:55:56AM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> > I see libtool on the webpage:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/ports/devel.html
> >
> > And in INDEX:
> >
> > wopr:/usr/ports$ egrep ^libtool INDEX
> > libtool-1.3.4|/usr/ports/devel/libtool|/usr/local|Generic shared library
> > support script|/usr/ports/devel/libtool/pkg/DESCR|reg@FreeBSD.org|devel|||
> >
> > INDEX is revision 1.273.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> My point isn't that libtool isn't *somewhere* within the INDEX or
> *somewhere* within the web pages.  My point is that libtool does not
> appear as a depend where I think it should appear.  Read on.
>
> Look at http://www.freebsd.org/ports/irc.html#xchat-1.4.2 and note that
> libungif is listed under requires.  Now look at
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/graphics.html#libungif-4.1.0 and note that
> libtool is a requires.
>
> Why isn't libtool listed under xchat as a requires?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're getting at, but I'll try
to give an explanation.  If you take notice of the xchat Makefile,
libungif isn't an explicit xchat dependency, but Imlib is.  Imlib
depends on libungif.  Imlib also depends on libtool.

I think what I'm trying to get at here is that xchat doesn't need to
specifically depend on libtool because it's other dependencies would
already have installed it.  Just like it doesn't depend on glib, but
it's needed.  The gtk dependency sucks that in.  Am I making sense?

- jim

--
- jim mock - walnut creek cdrom/freebsd test labs - jim@luna.cdrom.com -
- phone: 1.925.691.2800 x.3814 - fax: 1.925.674.0821 - jim@FreeBSD.org -