Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2008 18:02:58 GMT
From:      Peter Brewster <comcast.net@peter.brewster>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/124317: CD with BTX 1.02 fails at "mountroot" and 1.01 is OK

>Number:         124317
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       CD with BTX 1.02 fails at "mountroot" and 1.01 is OK
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Problem first showed up with attempted installation of PC-BSD 7.0 . . . Below from exchange with Kris Moore.

Hi Kris, or whoever,

This could be a BTX 1.01 versus BTX 1.02 matter.  Well out of my league.

My intent was to install Alpha 05242008 on a test bed.

Repeatable solid failure using the Alpha 05242008 ISO image loading from cd.  The test bed mobo is a recent Intel with an Intel dual CPU and 2GB.  System has been running both installed PC-BSD 1.5.1 (from system ATA hard disk) and installed Xubuntu 8.04 (from USB flash drive) without any problems.

I have confirmed the same Alpha 05242008 cd loads correctly on another older PC - an HP Presario with Intel Celeron.  Did not continue to install (not a test bed) but could have.  I also confirmed the ISO image used against a fresh ftp copy.

On the failing system I can see "BTX version 1.02" and then some screens of text fly by.  What I can visually catch looks ordinary enough.  Nothing unexpected seen but I'm not sure exactly what to look for.  A few lines just before the problem:

ad0:  20GB maxtor at ata0-master UDMA-100
acd0:  CDROM <LTN323/DQ15> at ata0-slave PIO4
 . . .  usual SCSI illegal request stuff . .
cd0 at ata0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd0:  <LITEON . . . . >
cd0:  16.0 MB/s transfer
cd0:  cd present [355743 x 2048 byte records]

Manual root filesystem spec
   . . . . .
   . . . . .
Mountroot> {solid cursor block displays}

Using a "?" entry displays 12 devices from ad0s1f to fd0.  The only file system to use that I know is ufs.

Using "ufs:cd0" entry grinds on the cd for a second or so, displays "Trying to mount root from ufs:cd0" and returns to the Mountroot> prompt.  All the suggested devices have a similar response.  None succeed.

I specifically confirmed just now that my FreeBSD 6.3 cd (as downloaded on 2-26-08) loads and installs correctly on the test bed.  (As of course it did a couple of months ago.)   As it loads the display indicates the BTX version is 1.01.

Peter Brewster
======================================
Peter Brewster wrote:
> I just confirmed that
> 02/25/2008 01:35AM    534,177,792 7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
> exhibits the same problem on the test bed.
>
> Peter

Ok, good to know. We'll need to let the FreeBSD guys know about this to
get it taken care of then. Can you report this with the send-pr page?

http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html

Go ahead and put down that it worked on the older BTX version, on
FreeBSD 6.3, but 7.0 fails. If you can, include as much information
about your hardware as possible, such as motherboard model, etc. If they
can get this fixed in 7-Stable (which the alphas are based on) then
future alpha-ISO's will be fixed as well.
>How-To-Repeat:
Cannot not get problem on this system.
>Fix:
None known