Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 22:05:55 -0500
From:      Eric Pogroski <pogrose@twcny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3CXFE574BT Support

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:38:50 -0700 (MST)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <20031224130803.78472eac.pogrose@twcny.rr.com>
>             Eric Pogroski <pogrose@twcny.rr.com> writes:
> : I was wondering if the above mentioned card is ever going to be
> : supported for full 10/100 speeds? Every flavor of FreeBSD I've
> : tried with this card absolutely refuses to see it as anything but a 10
> : Mb/s card.
> :
> : If this is not the list I should be asking this on, could some kind soul
> : point me in the proper direction?
>
> My 3CCFE574BT negotiated a 100Mbps link for me no problems last time I
> checked (I'm on the road for the holidays, so I can't confirm).  Maybe
> you could be more specific as to the versions of FreeBSD that you've
> tried?  I recently went through and did a minor overhaul of the ep
> driver and made sure that all the 3com ethernet cards I could find
> worked for me, except for the 3c1, which is rare and no free OS
> supports that I've been able to ascertain (it is close to a 3C589, but
> has enough quirks to make it not quite work).
>
> Warner

Hi Warner! and thanks for taking the time to reply to this during the holidays!

The card in question is a '3Com Mehahertz 3CXFE574BT', it's a 10/100 X-Jack card
(very handy, no dongles), and other anything that will recognize it as such, with the exception
of FreeBSD (multiple flavors, see below):

I've used the card successfully on my Thinkpad 390X with the following results:

MS Windows (All Flavors): recognized correctly, with 10/100 settings available
NetBSD (1.5x, 1.6x, NetBSD-current): recognized correctly, with 10/100 settings avail.
OpenBSD (2.8 - 3.4): recognized correctly, with 10/100 settings avail
FreeBSD 4.8: recognized as '3Com 574BT' , only 10 Mbs settings available
FreeBSD 4.9: same
FreeBSD 5.0: same
FreeBSD 5.1: same
FreeBSD 5.2: same

I determined (in the 'BSD's) if 10/100 settings for the card were available by doing the following:
'ifconfig inet ep0 10.0.1.25 media 100basetx mediaopt full-duplex', if it exited correctly, I knew I
was in good shape.
However, the same command under the freebsd's would generate 'SIOGETOPT:error' or something
to that effect. Also, the ep (4) man page makes no reference to the ep driver having anything but 10 mbs
settings.

Now I'm confused :( I really want to install freebsd next to winxp on this laptop (net's nice, but not enough software,
and open has it's own quirks, that beyond setting up a bastion host, I'm unfamiliar with, and linux, is for me, not a
real option).

again, thanks! If you need any more info, please let me know, I'll get it to you as soon as possible.

Eric