Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:15:02 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/ln & WARNS=5

> > > +Some code in the tree does not follow the last part of this rule.
> > > +Do not change it gratuitously to do so.
> >
> > Why not?  We gratuitously remove register. The above is a rule with
> > no reason.
>
> Because it gives myriads of gratuitous changes.  There should be a rule
> about not gratuitously removing register too.  Actually, we already have
> one near the end of the file:
>
> % Stylistic changes (including whitespace changes) are hard on the source
> % repository and are to be avoided without good reason.

This then comes down to what is defined as "good reason". I believe that
cleaning up code, fixing warnings and generally modernising ugly code is
good reason.

> My version of style.9 also has this meta-rule near the start of the file:
>
> % /*
> %  * Internal consistency (per-file) has precedence over these rules.
> %  */
> % .Ed
> % .\" Most files are not internally consistent, so these rules usually
> % .\" apply :-).

Sort of. take a look at some very old Sun code - rpcgen is a good one.
It siffers from a bad case of int-itis (everything fits into an int or
defaults to an int).

Maintaining stagnant code for purely repo bloat reasons is a dumb rule,
I think. The SCM system is to allow forward movement, not to hold us back.
In patchkit days, such changes would have been insane. Now we have the
tools, and constructing reasons not to use them is to lose the plot.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn