Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, joelh@gnu.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on i386 memory model

On 23-Nov-98 Marius Bendiksen wrote:
>>Of course we don't.  Nobody who cares about speed is going to use a 486.
>
> Are you saying that we're going to say to people "Hey, FreeBSD is not
> intended to run on anything less than a Pentium, we don't wish to get
> involved with anything less, the people out there who're stuck with a 486
> had better go support Linux instead?"

No.  Have you even read this thread?

This thread is about whether to expend significant effort and
sacrifice significant elegance and maintainability in order to
_slightly_ _optimize_ system calls for 486 systems.  It has nothing
to do with whether we support 486 systems or not.
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken