Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2008 10:54:03 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        af300wsm@gmail.com
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Having issues with the nvidia driver on my box

af300wsm@gmail.com writes:

> For several reasons, one of which was to use the nvidia driver for my
> board, I switched from amd64 to i386. So, I installed the driver and
> although things are working I'm getting this on console 0:
>
> NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the amd CPU and OS kernel
> NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended

Do you have AGP in the kernel?

> So, when I installed the nvidia driver I said to enable AGP. (Figuring
> only  that this is an AGP board, why not?)

If you say 'no' to that, I think it will use its own AGP driver instead
of the native one.

> ps in case it matters, my board is rather "old." I purchased it 4
> years ago  and as I'm not a gamer, it suffices quite nicely. Here's
> the driver I had  to install for support of this chip:
>
> nvidia-driver-96.43.07 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for
> hardware  OpenGL ren

What do you use NVidia's driver for?  If find that the open-source nv
driver works just fine for most things (I, too, do not play games on my
desktop computer).  Until I installed Google Earth, the proprietary
driver was completely unnecessary for me.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/