Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 02:18:38 -0800
From:      Ben Speirs <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something to show off...?

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > > Can someone suggest an app or demo that I can run, under FreeBSD, to "wow"
> > > ppl?  I got this nice video card, and I frankly don't know what to do with
> > > it :(  Its a 3D/video acceleration card that is supported by XFree86, and
> > > that quite a few ppl have been drooling over to put into a Win95 "game
> > > server" :)  I don't think I'm getting much out of it with plain X running,
> > > and even if its just something to show off what I can do, that would be
> > > cool...
> >
> > try Blender ? or mpegtv (mtv), or fxtv (if you have a video acquisition
> > card)...
>
> no video acquisition card yet...next toy...
>
> downloaded blender...going to have to flip to my old card and see if I
> notice a difference between the two...tried a few of the demos in the
> tutor pack, and altho they look impressive, they look slow too, but I'm
> curious as to whether they'd look worse with my old card or not *shrug*
>
> Thanks though, gives me something to work and play with now :)

Are you Z-buffer spinning or rendering?

If you are running KDE-1.1 try some of the GL screen savers.  My little
PPro200 with a 4Meg MGA and the software rendering is pretty choppy.
Unfortunately there are not very many of them.

Also, I just grabbed a solar system demo out of the FreeBSD ports,
ssystem-1.5.  Kind of neat.

And if you are really a glutton (and since you mentioned the W95
weenies) , I just read in news://comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine that
someone had gotten Tomb Raider II to run, at least partially under
emulation.  Be careful with Wine.  In my experience it has a tendency to
crash and take everything with it.  No panics, just poof!  Also, I'm not
sure if the FreeBSD port is up to date enough to do it.  He was probably
a Linuxer.

I'm looking forward to your feedback.
--
-Ben Speirs