Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 23:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Amancio Hasty Jr <hasty@netcom.com>
To:        davidh@progmatics.com.au, davidh@wr.com.au, piet@cup.hp.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, hasty@netcom.com, obrien@nuxi.com, piet@hpfsvr02.cup.hp.com, piet@piet.net, sane-devel@mostang.com
Subject:   Re: Setting up SANE on FreeBSD with an on Board Adaptec SCSI Controler

Hi Piet,

The scsi pass thru on FreeBSD is strange :(

Do a man on :
pass
camcontrol

ls -ald /dev/xpt0 /dev/pass1
crw-------  1 hasty  operator  104,   0 Nov 22 23:38 /dev/xpt0

crw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel   31,   3 Apr 19 11:20 /dev/pass1

pass1 is my umax scanner -- the minor device in /dev/pass1 denotes the
pass device printed with dmes:
{hasty} dmesg | grep pass
pass3 at ahc1 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
pass3: <UMAX UMAX S-12 V2.0> Fixed Scanner SCSI-2 device
pass3: 3.300MB/s transfers

cd /usr/local/etc/sane.d
{hasty} ls
abaton.conf     dc210.conf      hp.conf         ricoh.conf      tamarack.conf
agfafocus.conf  dc25.conf       microtek.conf   s9036.conf      umax.conf
apple.conf      dll.conf        microtek2.conf  saned.conf
artec.conf      dmc.conf        mustek.conf     sharp.conf
coolscan.conf   epson.conf      net.conf        snapscan.conf
{hasty} cat umax.conf
/dev/pass1

Make doubly sure that your *.conf entry where is required does point to
a string /dev/pass[0-9] otherwise the user cam interface will fail
to talk to your scsi device --- for instance if I change umax.conf
to point to /dev/scanner which is a symlink -- the scsi interface
library will fail.

Don't forget to create the /dev/xpt0 device or again the cam (scsi)
interface library will fail to access your scsi device.
That should do it. I found all this out by doing a ktrace on "sane"
and examining the devices which it opened :(

----

xscanimage umax

works like a charm over here.

any attempt to access /dev/scanner will fail not due to sane but
to the funky cam interface

The sane documentation installed is a generic one for all OSes
including FreeBSD.

	Amancio