Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:42:41 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslogd(8) Hostname Upgrade

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 01:38:41AM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> I brought this up as a PR (bin/24444) some months ago. I figured I'd
> finally close the PR and add this.
>
> This patch makes syslogd(8) update the hostname when the daemon is
> reinitialized. Before anyone points it out, this is not meant to be a
> security feature. It allows syslogd(8) to update the hostname without
> terminating and restarting the daemon and generates a message logging
> the change, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> I've been running with it for months on -CURRENT and -STABLE with no
> problems. Nit picks anyone?

Just one, and not a major one at that :)

[snip]
>  	/*
> +	 * Load hostname (may have changed).
> +	 */
> +	if (signo)
> +		(void)strlcpy(oldLocalHostName, LocalHostName,
> +		    sizeof(oldLocalHostName));

Do you really need the (void) here?  If you want to make lint and friends
happy, you should put the (void) in a couple of other places, too - like
snprintf(), logmsg(), dprintf()..  IMHO, just drop it.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.