Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:00:35 -0600
From:      Jonathan Horne <freebsd08@dfwlp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to run GUI under root in FreeBSD?

On Thursday 10 January 2008 06:52:38 am Unga wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to run ddd debugger under root.
>
> I ran following before become root:
> xhost localhost
>
> Under root:
> echo $DISPLAY
>
> :0.0
>
> When I run ddd:
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Error: Can't open display: :0.0
>
> What else I should do in FreeBSD? I'm running
> 7.0-PRERELEASE on i386 with KDE 3.5.8.
>
> Appreciate very much a reply.
>
> Best Regards
> Unga

im not sure if its the best or correct way, but i was able to run an app (not
ddd, i dont have that on my system) as root by doing this:

(as my user)
xhost +

(then su - up to root)
xcalc -display :0

nothing else to it.  also, you might take a look at the man for xhost to see
how to narrow down the access, because the '+' only gives you a nice
little "you are now wide open for connections" message.

cheers,
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org