Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:23:59 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        peter@spinner.dialix.com (Peter Wemm), rv@groa.uct.ac.za, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel XXpress - some SMP benchmarks

Hi,

>> One thing I'm not clear about from the IO apic docs yet is whether there
>> are 15 cpu's and 15 IO apic's, or whether there's a limit of 15 devices on
>> the APIC bus.
>
> 1 BP, 31 (AP | IO APIC) (2^5 == 32)

its a four bit register, where do you get 2^5, am I missing something?

> You may want to disassemble your MP cold boot BIOS code to see about

I've been wondering about the issue of the MP table being in BIOS.
Traditionally this is ROM.  Do you think they just hardcode all this
stuff, or really arbitrate numbers during boot and can 'modify' them in the
BIOS area because it is really shadowed into RAM?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD