Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:11:28 -0400
From:      APseudoUtopia <apseudoutopia@gmail.com>
To:        Simon Griffiths <simon.griffiths@tenenbaum.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Build/Install world via ssh

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Simon Griffiths
<simon.griffiths@tenenbaum.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to get an answer to this via web searches etc. =C2=A0I have a fre=
ebsd 7
> box that I plan on upgrading remotely via
>
> Make buildworld
> Make buildkernel KERNCONF=3Dxyz
>
> Now im stuck, =C2=A0I cannot get it down to single user because I only ha=
ve
> access via ssh. =C2=A0Would it hurt to
>
> Make installkernel KERNCONF=3Dxyz
> Make installworld
>
> Mergemaster etc.
>
> Reboot
>
> ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Simon

I upgrade, compile, and install kernels and the world remotely on a
semi-regular basis. You just have to be careful with things, such as
installing the kernel to an alternate dir in /boot/ and using
nextboot(8) to test the kernel. You ABSOLUTELY have a chance of
something going wrong and hosing your system. Make sure you back up
files (and transfer those backups to another system).