Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:40:54 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MH: inc can't connect to POP mailbox

Jim Dennis wrote:

> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm trying to use exmh to retrieve remote mail via POP.  But when I try
> > to run
> >
> > inc -host resnet.uoregon.edu -user dwhite
> > (I have an account on this machine, running ipop3d)
> > I get this:
> > inc: -ERR Nice try, bunkie
> > Other users can use POP just fine off this machine.
> > Any guesses?
> >
> > Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>
>         I don't know what's cause mh to fail on POP connection
>         directly -- however I can suggest a workaround:
>
>         use popclient (a simple command line program that
>         fetches your mail and appends it to the mail folder of
>         your choice (your local mail spool file is the default).
>
>         You should then be able to inc (incorporate) your
>         mail locally.
>
>         I've done things on some system like: get my mail spool via
>         ftp, append it to the local spool and elm or inc it.  I've
>         also used a need trick to take all my elm folders and "convert"
>         them to mh (just cat them all >> to the spool of course).
>
>         My first guess as to why it's not working relates to
>         passwork problems.  Have you tried 'telnet resnet pop-3'
>         (port 110) and using the: USER and PASS commands to
>         confirm your ability to make a connection.
>
> Jim Dennis,
> System Administrator,
> McAfee Associates

If you got MH from the FreeBSD packages I believe that it was
not compiled to get mail from a remote host (it just ignores
the -host switch -- silently).  I ran into this problem around
a year ago and had to get the source and compile it myself to
get remote POP access.  Unfortunately I can't remember the exact
options for compiling, and I no longer use MH.

--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798