Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 17:59:31 +0400
From:      Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solution for mail pseudo-users?

Hello!

I'm going to implement a large mail-box, with several hundreds of mail-only
users. They should never access anything besides their POP3 mailboxes and
change password via (SSLed) web interface.

So, I don't want to add all of them to /etc/passwd.

I have a hack that requires to change libc to make getpwent access not only
/etc/master.passwd, but also some mySQL database, but it is hard-to-rebuild
and overall dirty hack.

Do not ask me to RTFM on PAM, for PAM does not allow me to add users not
mentioned in passwd.

As far as I understand, LDAP is rather bulky and suited to X.500
integration, and that is not what I want.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Alex.