Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:06:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFC makecontext(), getcontext(), setcontext()?, also would be nice to have some cleanups

    Oops, actually I'm wrong here.  I didn't realize that these were statically
    setting the signal mask.

    Let me rephrase this:  There are many cases where the signal mask does
    not have to be messed with.  It would be really nice if
    setcontext()/getcontext() could be told not to screw with it, perhaps
    with a flag.  Making a system call every single time setcontext() or
    getcontext() is called is extremely wasteful and slows down the context
    switch by an insane amount.

    So scrap my previous sample code and instead replace with code that
    simply checks the flags field for a flag that tells it to ignore the
    signal mask.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:
:    It would be nice if getcontext() and setcontext() could be told
:    not to screw around with the signal mask, similar to what sigsetjmp()
:    and siglongjmp() do if the savemask is empty.  Perhaps something like
:    this:
:
:    BEFORE:
:...