Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:39:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca (Spidey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linking /usr/src/ to /var/ftp ?

> Is it possible and/or secure?

It may be possible, but it is probably not what you want to do,
if I am reading you correctly.

> I would wish to publish the FreeBSD sources in my ftp server without
> having to duplicate them. I tried ln -s, but an anonymous login gives me
> 'No such file or directory.'
>
> Anyway, is /usr/src/ the same source tree as
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/2.2.7-RELEASE/ (I'm on 227R...) ???

No.

IF I am reading you correctly, you want to set up some sort of
FBSD archive site for local installs.  That is a good way to
do things, and makes for fast installs, once loaded up the first
time on the local ftp server.

If you want to set up an ftp archive site for installing FBSD, you
might want to do it something like this....

1.  When installing the machine originaly, DO NOT put ftp in /var.
    Make him located in /home or /usr/home as others, so that he has
    plenty of room to play in, OR, make /var plenty big to handle
    the RELEASE space needed (150 megs minimally, for the basic
    suite less all the tons of packages and ports distfiles).
    There may be pro and con for keeping ftp in var, but I have
    always set him up elsewhere, since I usually drop a lot of
    junk there for remote use.

2.  Set up the X.X.X-RELEASE tree in /home/ftp/pub just like it is on
    freebsd.org (/home/ftp or /usr/home/ftp, or use a separate fs if
    that is workable).

    /home/ftp/pub/2.2.7-RELEASE/cdrom.inf
                               /xxxx.TXT (the install guides, etc)
                               /floppies
                               /bin
                               /manpages
                               (etc to suit)

3.  Then when installing on other machines, point them to your local
    ftp archive box to do the install.  It works great, and I do that
    all the time on my home and office networks.  An install on another
    box takes around 15-30 minutes that way.

IF you are actually wanting to mirror the actual source tree, tar it
up and put in in the ftp rather than link it so you keep a pristine
protected source tree in /usr, IMHO.  The space considerations in
the ftp login still apply... have plenty of space available.

Good Luck

RDK