Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:12:34 -0600
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP on demand.

Khetan Gajjar writes:
 > I have a static IP address (196.7.74.174) and am dialling into my
 > ISP.  The problem is that when I specify ppp -auto chain it starts
 > dialling for reasons I do not understand (i.e. I do nothing, and it
 > starts dialling).

Sendmail may be part of the cause; if it runs the mail queue and has
any outgoing mail, it will force PPP to dial the connection if the
default route still exists through the PPP link.  This is desirable
behavior if you've got sendmail configured closely enough.  ;^)

Any of several `background' tasks may behave this way.  Another
culprit is routing daemons like routed and gated.  If you're running a
single FreeBSD system on a PPP link, or even a simple router between
one class C network and one external link, don't use routed or gated.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder