Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:43:55 -0300
From:      daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Driver

> Heh heh.  How do you think stuff like this _gets_ documented?
> Someone like you finds that its not doc'd, gets really annoyed,
> then submits his diffs to the handbook or FAQ in order to
> prevent others from having to go through the same learning
> process - without that level of general annoyance, it's
> unlikely that anyone else will document it. :-)

Yeah, yeah, yeah... That would mean learn this troff stuff first, though.
Next thing, you'll be wanting me to use emacs! :-)

> I'll be happy to review the english if you have any worries
> about that.

After seven years of Bitnet/Internet, I learned not to give a damn about
_my_ level of english... :-) Not that I thrive for perfection, though.

> > 3) And, btw of documenting things what would be the easiest
> > way of learning how to write a man page?

> Look at another man page. :-)

I never even considered any other way, but as far as man pages goes, we
have quite a few of them, and, mind you, I have yet to know all them by
heart. In fact, I just started a search beginning at man(1), and ended at
"too many things to understand" error.

(Which reminds me about my PR -- there was a man page mentioning buf(9),
that does not exist; while the reference was remarked out, a buf(9) man
page would still be handy.)

And, finally, let me take this opportunity to ask: are all FreeBSD lists
back on-line? I have received a single hackers digest, today, no current
digest, no sys-commit or etc-commit, and no -fs. Though the later is the
norm, I'm quite surprised at the lack of messages from the commit lists.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                      (8-DCS)
Daniel_Sobral@voga.com.br

Tagline:
   * FreeBSD. Earth.