Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 19:20:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, imp@village.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [jgrosch@mooseriver.com: Re: Beginning SPARC port]

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> And with the right xf86 config file, you can use a sun monitor on a pc
> >
> > As far as I know that's not true of *all* Sun monitors, because not all
> > Sun monitors are multisync. I believe all *recent* Sun monitors are
> > multisync, though.
>
> A multisync monitor isn't a prerequisite for XFree86.  Many (most?)
> newer display boards have programmable clocks, so you can set up a
> mode line to generate the correct frequencies for a specific Sun
> monitor.

Dangerous to give out that advice, Greg.  Many older Sun monitors were
single frequency monitors, and while Xfree86 could be prpogrammed to work
with them, during boot, when the monitors are in 640X400, they just can't
handle that at all, and will just burn out while tring to get to X11 mode.

It requires a specially programmed video card that, when the bios tells it
to go to 640X400, ignores that and stays where it's hardware optioned to
be.

> Greg

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |