Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 12:54:54 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, gmarco@masternet.it
Subject:   Re: Problem with Adaptec 2940UW.

Do either of you have the CVS tree so that you can walk backward through
the revisions and determine exactly where this broke?  The -current branch
has better granularity so it would be best to do it from there.  I cannot
reproduce this behavior on my hardware, so I've resorted to an inspection
of all changes since April 1.  Narrowing this down to one revision would
greatly help me to find the problem.

>For what it is worth I checked the difference between boot up with the
>old good kernel vs the new hanging kernel and found two differences.
>The new kernel has this extra line:
>ahc0: BurstLen = s, Latency Timer = 64PCLKS

               ^^^<= It didn't give you a number here?

>The new kernel was also different on this line:
>ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel , SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
>the old kernel said:
>ach0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 256 SCBs

This is to be expected.  You only have 16 SCBs.  The older driver had a bug.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations