Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 02:49:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Config Databases

> Not directly related, but...
>
> > [ previous entries snipped ]
> > # << The following errors have been detected: >>
> > # <<  Missing login shell >>
>
> Not an error, defaults to /bin/sh
>
> > # << The following errors have been detected: >>
> > # <<  Non-unique UID value >>
> > # << The following entry has been ignored >>
>
> In my book, not an error.
> I have two accounts for myself with the same UID -- my usual one with a
> fancy shell, and a backup account with /bin/sh incase something happened
> to the NFS mounted /usr/local
>
> So this may beg the question, if there needs to be the ability to express
> a policy to determine what constitutes an error.

Bad examples perhaps.  The missing shell might constitute a warning, which
could be accommodated also.

Are you sure about that default to /bin/sh?  The code from getpwent.c looks
like
        if ((s = strsep(&result, ":")) == NULL) return 0; /* shell */
	if(!(pw->pw_fields & _PWF_SHELL)) {
			pw->pw_shell = s;
			pw->pw_fields |= _PWF_SHELL;
	}