Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:10:48 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Murray Taylor <mtaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay in Australia with Telstra

Murray Taylor wrote:

> I am establishing FreeBSD 4.2 Release (from the CD Roms) on a Compaq A550
> and
> I need to setup a connection to a Telstra frame relay interface (which has
> yet to be installed)
>
> (A) Has anyone in .AU done this?

ummm not in AU
but it is a standard right? (I've had it working in europe and USA.

> (B) What interface card did you use? and which driver ( sr, ar, cx, ?? )

proprietary, but several should work.

a bug in the 'sr' driver was just fixed that may fix problems I was seeing with
this
last year in Australia.

> (C) Which distributor did you get the card from?

> (D) what software i/face are you using, do you recommend (sppp / netgraph /
> ?? )
>         (I have read the frame_relay item in the netgraph examples, but
> otherwise have no
>         direct experience with netgraph)

As I wrote netgraph, I recommend it..
I had the frame-relay module passed through the protocol verification labs at
MCI and we ended up being very 'complying' :-)

> I have recompiled the kernel to add IPFW, NETGRAPH and drop some uneeded net
> devices and am
> quite OK do do so as needed again. (FreeBSD on my home machine since 2.2.2)

well you'll need the sr or ar driver either way
unless you can get some of the other cards that phk
has been playing with. LMC?

I BELIEVE than sangoma have a card and driver for freebsd/frame too, and I
am pretty sure that Emerging technology can do it too.

> Note the hostname in the dmesg is a dummy used for internal testing prior to
> domain registration
>
> Murray Taylor
> Project Engineer
>
> Bytecraft P/L   +61 3 9587 2555
>                 +61 3 9580 7690 fax

bummer, eastern states.. otherwise I could help..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org