Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:23:44 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        Andrew Kilpatrick <andrew@andrewkilpatrick.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.2 vs. 5.2.1

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:56:32 -0400
Andrew Kilpatrick <andrew@andrewkilpatrick.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing an embedded system based on FreeBSD. When I started to
> build a stripped down version of FreeBSD I was using 5.2 RELEASE. Now I
> keep finding that 5.2 has vanished from most servers, and only 5.2.1 is
> available. This is particularly troubling, because I'm worried that I'm
> targetting my product on a mysterious version of FreeBSD. We might be
> using whatever version we choose for the next 5 years or more, without
> change.
>
> So, my questions is.... what happened to 5.2 RELEASE? Is there some
> reason that it has gone away? Should I be upgrading my embedded distro?

the code most certainly hasn't gone away.  what probably has disappeared
are the .iso sets you were working with.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html
says:

"The sites in each country carry the most recent versions for the most
popular architecture(s) but might not carry the entire FreeBSD archive."

during my wanderings through the ethernet, i have come across at least one
site which archives the freebsd .iso releases.  unfortunately, i did not
take note of it's url.  perhaps google can help or, if we're really lucky,
another reader might know the sight and post the info.

regardless, you can always access the code for a given release via cvsup or
sup or ctm.  cvsup is generally the most highly recommended method.  for
all the details, please consult:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html

hope that this helps.

cheers,