Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 18:11:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        partek@indecent.com (David Anderson)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cons25 and vt100

> > > 1- All stuff that was supposed to be bold, was blue.
> > 8-).  Direct mapping of the mono attribute bits to the CGA attribute
> > values.
> > What's "bold" on a color screen?
>
> Trick question?

Yes.  8-).  The answer is "whatever you say it is"; setting the foreground
high intensity bit under mono is the same as the blue bit under color.  I
believe you can remap it (I have no Idea how, though).

> > > 2- The screen would constanly become garbled. I would be typing something
> > >    at the commandline and suddenly the cursor would just jump to the
> > >    other side of the screen.
> >
> > What video card do you have; sounds like a non-linear VGA memory map?
>
> I have a Cirrus Logic 5426/8(clgd5428) and that's what pcvt reports on
> bootup.

8-|.  I have no idea how it knows that.

> > > 3- When the system boots up, everything is white on a red background. Not
> > >    necessarily a problem, but it looks strange.
> > Another attribute mapping.
> > I'd say PCVT was under the impression that your card was a mono card; does
> > it emulate one?  This could cause it to mis-probe the card.  You may want
> > to look at the dmesg output for boot and see what probe messages it puts
> > out to you.  Then contact the author for advice.
>
> And who is that? :) A friend of mine is also running FreeBSD. He's having
> the same exact problems with PCVT.(though has a different video card) Is
> this really a problem, or is it just how it's SUPPOSED to act?

Well, the attribute clear screen is how it's supposed to act; I'd argue
a problem in ncurses or whatever program's screen handling code (I've
seen the same thing under elm, myself).

The authors (according to the sources, which should be on your box too)
are:

 * Copyright (c) 1992, 1995 Hellmuth Michaelis and Joerg Wunsch.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1992, 1993 Soeren Schmidt.

Joerg is on all the lists and all the news groups.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.