Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:24:12 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a mysql user that want to save a FreeBSD box ?

Thanks to everyone for the lot of answers about my problem...
Now I have the socket. :-)

I also discovered the problem was also pointed out in the manual.
But it was not so easy to find it.
I am not an expert user and very difficult I could associate the
MIT-pthreads (which are for me a very obscure thing right now :-) to the
fact my socket don't come out...

Perhaps when the new port of MySql is coming out we can think to improve
with a more verbose note that can point out better the problem...

So instead of only :
"You may set NATIVE_THREADS (make NATIVE_THREADS=yes)
to compile mysql with the native FreeBSD threads (libc_r).

Warning: There are still some bugs in libc_r which prevent
         'mysqladmin shutdown' from working properly and
          killing mysqld might not work."

I think we can add also a line explaing that if you don't use this
NATIVE_THREADS opt
you can't use the socket as well..

Thanks very much to everyone who has kindly answered me...

--

Regards...

Gianmarco
"Unix expert since yesterday"