Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 10:25:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        eyurtese@turkuamk.fi
Cc:        sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no, michaelx.l.wright@intel.com, fkittred@gwi.net, kudzu@tenebras.com, dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: wi0 and mtu setting [bad idea]

In message: <Pine.A41.4.10.10301061918340.116252-100000@bessel.tekniikka.turkuamk.fi>
            Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi> writes:
: Sorry about that but everybody seemed to disagree to having this option of
: 1500+ MTU settings in wi driver.
:
: If you will support this, then its just fine for me. I dont complain! =)
: Sorry!

Well, this converstation needs to take place on the net@ list.  In
-current, at least, if_ethersubr.c prevents 'ethernet' drivers from
setting the mtu higher.  There's some experimental patches that make
802.11 its own network thing which were ported over from NetBSD, but
even those don't allow one to set it higher since it just uses the
if_ethersubr code path for mtu setting.

So while I'll make it possible for the wi driver, it won't help at all
until this higher level stuff is resolved.

Warner